Tuesday 22 September 2009

22/09/2009

Within the first few minutes of my visit I could tell it wasn't going to be as good as yesterday, but still, it wasn't bad with some alright counts and patch scarcities that keep you going down the Downs.

One of the highlights of the day was a decent movement of hirundines with c.48 SWALLOWS and c.45 HOUSE MARTINS counted during the c.2 hours I was on site.

The award of bird of the day goes to a female PHEASANT that flew up briefly at the area that I have dubbed 'South Dartford' which is near 'Chiffy Oaks' :-). This is my second record here and a Banstead Downs year tick (66). This species is quite a challenge to find here (though I don't know if they are easier in the East Wood or breed there or what as I hardly ever go there).

2 BULLFINCHES were noted today, after a period of low counts/absence in my logbook. JAYS are getting busy and angry for the autumn with at least 4 birds present, though probably 2 or so more; it's hard to estimate numbers. 1 or 2 COAL TITS are still present around Bikers' (I will try to explain the different parts of the site and the names I've given them in a later post) and 1 possible TREECREEPER was heard briefly there where 5 or so CHIFFCHAFFS were feeding. 5 LINNETS flew up from the south end of the central footpath.2 GREEN and 2 GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS.

10+ CHAFFINCHES were logged, mainly around Bikers'. 10 ROBINS were heard. 23 HERRING GULLS, 1 LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL and 16 BLACK-HEADED GULLS flew over. 1 BLACKCAP. 1 probable Willow Warbler. 4 STARLINGS and 2 FERAL PIGEONS over. 1 GREENFINCH. 30+ JACKDAWS. 20+ CARRION CROWS and a similar count of WOODPIGEONS, 9+ MAGPIES noted. 5+ GREAT TIS (2 singing). 9+ BLUE TITS. 2 DUNNOCKS.

No comments:

Post a Comment