Thursday 10 September 2009

10/09/2009- finally . . .

I am pleased to report that the north easterly winds did me a bit of a favour today, bringing one (better than none . . . ) more interesting passerine migrant in the form of a TREE PIPIT that flew over, calling. A patch tick for me, bring me up to 68, and 63 for the year.

Also today, at least 7 SWALLOWS flew south west, there were probably many others, as it seemed I got onto some every time I scanned the sky for more than a few seconds, of course, I couldn't be bothered to constantly scan the sky and I still would have missed many.

Also a handful of PHYLLOSCOPUS WARBLERS, a single COMMON WHITETHROAT, at least 2 or 3 GREEN WOODPECKERS, a single GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER, a west-orientated flock of nine ROSE-RINGED PARAKEETS was followed by a group of 3 heading in the same direction and a single north west bound bird.

A single BULLFINCH and at least ten CHAFFINCHES were noted. Also at least two GREENFINCHES flew over. There were around 4 JAYS which were causing a commotion.

LONG-TAILED, BLUE and GREAT TITS were much in evidence. That about sums today up . . .

Other Belmont news, yesterday a pair of SPARROWHAWKS flew over Belmont Pastures where there was a pair of SONG THRUSHES and there were at least 14 GOLDFINCHES in my gran's garden this morning with 2 HOUSE SPARROWS. BLACK-HEADED and LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS have, like I, come back to school for the winter (though they've been there on and off since late June/early July).

No comments:

Post a Comment