Monday 21 September 2009

21/09/2009- a good day

Yeah, at last a very enjoyable and rewarding day with much evidence of migration! . . .

As I was walking to the North Wood through the Merlin Pasture I picked up a large raptor heading low south and said to myself, 'here we go . . .', preparing myself for a Honey-buzzard but alas it turned out to be a COMMON BUZZARD. Still, an alright bird for the Downs, I haven't seen that many here before and a good sign of things to come. Next thing I knew 2 SWALLOWS flew SW right above me. I had a feeling it was going to be a good day.

Getting the dross over with first . . .

TIT numbers were good with 1 COAL, c.15 GREAT, c.20 LONG-TAILED and 7+ BLUE. 1 male GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER showed well in the north wood. 6+ JAYS were present. A decent site count of 12 STARLINGS passed over. c.10 HERRING and 2+ BLACK-HEADED GULLS flew over. c.25 JACKDAWS were noted. 4+ CHAFFINCHES noted. 1 and 2 ROSE-RINGED PARAKEETS flew over. 2 GREENFINCHES flew over. 8 FERAL PIGEONS over.

Onto the better stuff . . .

1 MEADOW PIPIT called at what I call the 'Mega Patch' where a presumably migrant MISTLE THRUSH showed well with a CHAFFINCH closely following it. WARBLERS today consisted of 4+ CHIFFCHAFFS, 1 WILLOW WARBLER and 2+ BLACKCAPS.

A further 4 SWALLOWS flew north and 7+ HOUSE MARTINS flew south. 2+ LINNETS were noted. 1 female SPARROWHAWK was observed by both myself and the angry Crows.

A single probable SONG THRUSH/possible REDWING flew ENE.

On the way back, at the north end of the central path I heard a BRAMBLING fly over, making its more Chaffinch-like call and then relocated it, making its short nasal call at the south end of the north enclosure, by the patch of heather/gorse there. This was a local patch tick for me and I believe it is the first of the winter for both Surrey and London, that's from the information available to me anyway. A nice way to end the day.

30 species recorded in 2 hours 49 minutes.

My Banstead Downs list is now on 70 and it is now on 65 for 2009.

At 07:47 this morning I saw and heard a YELLOW WAGTAIL fly ENE over Belmont Pastures, on my way to school. Very near to Banstead Downs and a would be patch tick, nice to see anyway.

At c.08.05 I recorded a single MEADOW PIPIT at Overton Park just before I entered school. This is an uncommon winter visitor/passage migrant there.

No comments:

Post a Comment