Thursday 14 January 2010

Interesting report from Cheam and good news for the Firecrests

I had a look on the Londonbirders wikia page this afternoon and saw an interesting report from an unnamed observer. Most surprising was the sighting of a single MARSH HARRIER. Other good reports included 2 WOODCOCKS and a male PEREGRINE.

Also reported were 5 SPARROWHAWKS, a single BLACKCAP, JAY, SONG THRUSH, GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER also 'FIELDFARES and REDWINGS yesterday'.

I wonder if all this refers to Nonsuch Park, Cheam (or perhaps Priest Hill or Howell Hill); seems more than likely.

Also good news on the Firecrests, I have been contacted by someone from Natural England who is very concerned with the issue and has told the site manager to stop work in that area. He seems very knowledgeable on birds and very understanding of them, which is very good.

He was not only concerned about the Firecrests, but he also wanted to keep track of the other birds on the Downs and asked me if I could provide him a list of the rough number of breeding pairs of each species on the site.

I am not sure how accurate the list will be when I meet him in February to discuss the Firecrests, the site and the other birds that inhabit it, but I am very keen to do an accurate and thorough breeding survey of as much of the site as possible this year. It should be a very interesting and exciting project for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment