Friday 8 January 2010

cold weather affects local birds

Today (08/01/2010) I noticed a couple of displaced birds in the Sutton area. First off a GREY WAGTAIL, a winter female/1st winter, was feeding along the grass verge and around the bottoms of trees and a bench near Gatton Close, seen from teh 280 bus.

In the Sutton CBD a solitary exhausted migrant REDWING showed extremely well as it sat in one of the few bare, small trees and occasionally dropped onto the pavement. This is the tamest and most ubran Redwing I've ever seen. Also 2 FIELDFARES moved north there.

No sign of any Peregrines on the Reed Building today, but I only checked the western and northern faces of the building and glanced at the glass building just north.

I've been affected by the cold weather too, staying warm inside with bad sinuses and, too my frustration, not being able to check the Downs or Canon's to grab a bit of the cold weather movement action, Golden Plover being my main target.

I'm about to have a skywatch from my window by the Downs and will let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment