Sunday 10 January 2010

Carshalton Ponds 10/01/2010

Hoping for something like a Jack Snipe along the Wandle from Carshalton Ponds to Wilderness Island this afternoon and made an attempt at counting the waterbirds.

I failed to locate a Jack Snipe, but did find 3 COMMON SNIPE, which isn't bad (1 was near the 3rd bridge at the ponds and 2 were near the entrance to Wilderness Island). Other highlights included a LITTLE EGRET along the Wandle at the entrance to Wilderness Island where there was a pair of KINGFISHERS (possibly making a total of 4 if the other two birds further back towards the Ponds were different). An extremely showy EGYPTIAN GOOSE, another decent bird for the Ponds, was present at the top of the main waterfall.

A single LITTLE GREBE was present just beyond the bridge at Carshalton Ponds where there were 2 GREY WAGTAILS and 250-300 BLACK-HEADED GULLS which were accompanied by a single 2nd winter HERRING GULL which looked a bit exhausted. I was disappointed that I did not find a Mediterranean Gull.

The resident GREY HERON was present near the main waterfall and, as usual, showed extremely well.

MALLARDS numbered at 36+, mainly at the Ponds. This number includes some ornamental type birds with the exception of only the obvious white ones.

11 TUFTED DUCKS were at the Ponds.

14+ COOTS were noted along with 20+ MOORHENS.

c.48 CANADA GEESE were counted, all at the Ponds.

2 MUTE SWANS were at the Ponds.

6 JACKDAWS were seen.


The area may be worth more time with species like Smew and Common Scoter having been recorded in the past.

I did get some photographs today but my computer is in a bit of a mood at the moment so I'm using my dad's laptop, which I will not put my photographs on, to avoid confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment