Wednesday 18 November 2009

18/11/2009

A slightly more relaxed after-school trip to the northern part of the core Banstead Downs, to look for Great Grey Shrikes . . . in my dreams . . .

back to the reality of it and the highlights were perhaps 2 or 3 GOLDCRESTS, of which only one showed. There have not been many of these wonderful sprites this autumn/winter, I guess because of the distinct lack of a hint of a north easterly wind. Good numbers of LONG-TAILED TITS were present with 20 or so noted, 3 or so GREAT TITS and at least 1 or 2 BLUE TITS were also thrown into the mix (sorry for the fairly inaccurate counts, I didn't really bother note-taking today).

up to 100 JACKDAWS flew north to roost (still haven't figured where this is yet!). A CARRION CROW that flew over got me going for a second or two as it appeared to have a Rook's bill, but it was, as usual, carrying something and of course the size and structure was wrong. I wonder when I will get a Rook for the Downs? - it's probably worth spending some time in that east wood at dusk!

4 possible Stock Doves and a handful of WOODPIGEONS were seen with good numbers of CARRION CROWS and, I guess, roughly 5 MAGPIES. 11 or so REDWINGS were seen and a possible Fieldfare was heard very briefly with a distant large thrush seen circling, probably a Fieldfare.

Good numbers of BLACK-HEADED GULLS flew over, maybe up to 100(?). One large flock was flying over as I arrived and hadn't yet got my bins out but I managed to pick out at least 2 or 3 COMMON GULLS thrown into the mix . . .

. . . I think that just about sums it up . . .

IN OTHER NEWS

At Overton Park a handful of BLACK-HEADED GULLS were logged but I think numbers have gone down . . . still haven't got that Mediterranean Gull.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something's gotta break soon . . . if not a Great Grey Shrike then flushing another Woodcock would do . . . or a Mallard flying over; that is a much needed Downs year tick that is starting to become a priority now seeing how few days are left of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment