Thursday 3 June 2010

***MEGA-ALERT*** local male RED-BACKED SHRIKE showing well

photos by Mark Stanley

I received a text message from Johnny Allan late afternoon informing me that at Woodmansterne/Banstead a male RED-BACKED SHRIKE had been reported west of Lakers Rise.

I made a few phone calls to cancel dinner and arrange a very short lift over there with Phil Wallace, we were quickly joined by Mark Stanley and the three of us split up to search the site. After Phil left to go to a rehearsal, Mark and I re-checked the area that Mark had already briefly searched. I noticed a wire fence and thought it would be worth checking for the bird. Leaning over to view the other side of the fence/hedgerow I saw a smallish bird fly up from the ground and perch in a bush along the fence. It was in bad light and the bird was obscured but I could make out a dark mask. We waited for the bird to change position; it flew again to the ground, catching a beetle or something and revealed itself to be the Shrike.

We crawled under the fence and got better views of the bird. Keeping low and slowly approaching it, the views got better and better, especially as it came closer to us on its own accord. Johnny Allan soon arrived and got good views of the bird too. At 8.21pm we all went home happy.

Also present was a singing male LESSER WHITETHROAT which at some points was mobbing and alarm calling at the Shrike, a PEREGRINE (Mark) and a male BULLFINCH. 2 RED KITES were reported over Chipstead on the Surrey Bird Club website.

Mark got some good photos which he said he would let me use so I will put them up here when I recieve them. The bird really was a stunner and showed very well; definitely worth going up there.

DIRECTIONS

Park at Lakers Rise off Chipstead Way and walk west parallel to the south edge of Scratch Wood. You will hit a wire fence, this is the fence that the bird was showing on. Best views were achieved by ducking under the fence and viewing the west side of it. I'd be happy to provide more help/directions if you get lost if you text/ring 07928764818.

No comments:

Post a Comment