Monday 1 February 2010

01/02/2010

In the local area, the walk to school produced a couple of surprises, a BLACKCAP at Hulverstone Close, calling and seen with the naked eye, and a GREEN WOODPECKER heard calling at Overton Park by the school, just before I went in. On the 29th January, 17 GOLDFINCHES were in a tree there, many singing.

In the afternoon I did the usual winter after-school walk at the golf course. I heard a probable Firecrest briefly but couldn't locate it. A single JAY was present there and a ROSE-RINGED PARAKEET flew over. Somebody again reported a FIRECREST at 1.20pm 20 metres beyond the post labelled 657. Good to see that somebody else is regularly working Banstead Downs, I hope they will find me something good in spring.

I cut across the A217 to the main part of the site where 1+ SONG THRUSH was present as well as 1-2+ BULLFINCHES, 3 JAYS and a singing CHAFFINCH, quite early. One female was also noted (and one was along Burdon Lane). 2 adult COMMON GULLS flew over and a GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER called. 40 JACKDAWS flew to roost.

No comments:

Post a Comment