Sunday 30 August 2009

30/08/2009

A early morning jump today, I was out on the Downs just after first light, convinced that I was bound to get at least one decent passerine migrant! Did I heck . . .


A nice little crop of uncommon patch birds but nothing notable away from the Downs; I had a LINNET fly over the west enclosure, 2 TREECREEPERS and 3 COAL TITS at the bikers' patch where there was at least 5 COMMON CHIFFCHAFFS (in total there was 10 or so today)and at least one WILLOW WARBLER. GREEN WOODPECKERS were in evidence, I noted 5 birds and all of those that I got a good view of turned out to be juveniles. Also today I heard a singing GARDEN WARBLER and 5+ BLACKCAPS. 1 STARLING view over. There were at least 2 female BULLFINCHES present today. At least 9 RING-NECKED PARAKEETS flew over. BLUE, GREAT and LONG-TAILED TITS were much in evidence this morning and part from the Treecreepers and Coal Tits they didn't carry much with them, though for the nutty patch that isn't too bad so I shouldn't complain. 3 GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS were present today. A decent count of c.23 FERAL PIGEONS passed over this morning following yesterdays reasonable pigeon passage consisting of a mainly northward movement of about 60 WOODPIGEONS, 1 STOCK DOVE and 4 FERAL PIGEONS.

Other than the pigeons, yesterday yielded little of interest other than the undoubted highlight of the day in the form of at least 8 HOUSE MARTINS flying west, calling. 1 KESTREL was hunting over 'nomansland', the bare area north of the east and central enclosures. Yesterday was much the same Warbler-wise with at least 6 COMMON CHIFFCHAFFS and at least 1 WILLOW WARBLER.

JAY numbers are good at the moment.



How long will it be until I get a Pied Flycatcher, Redstart Whinchat or Wood Warbler or even just a Spotted Flycatcher or EVEN just a Wheatear!?!?!? I'm not sure how much more I can take.

No comments:

Post a Comment